The Active Travel Office (ATO) serves as the single point of contact within Government on active travel policy and implementation, including coordination and engagement with the community on active travel matters.
Active travel means a mode of transport which involves physical activity such as walking and cycling to get from one destination to another - including travel to and from the places we live, work, learn, visit and play. These are some of the most efficient and effective ways to incorporate regular exercise into our daily lives, reducing many long-term health risks and contributing to our mental and physical health and well being.
The ACT Government remains committed to delivering on a healthy, active and vibrant Canberra under the Healthy Weight Initiative.
Together, let's make Canberra the best city in Australia to walk and cycle.
- Building an Integrated Transport Network - Active Travel (PDF 9.53MB)
- Healthy Weight Initiative
- Ride or Walk to School Initiative - The Ride or Walk to School initiative aims to increase walking, cycling and use of public transport among school students in the ACT.
- Active Streets - Active Streets is an extension of Ride or Walk to School to make the environment around schools safer to ride, walk, scooter or skate to and from school.
- Canberra and Queanbeyan Cycling and Walking Map
- Pedal Power ACT
- Heart Foundation
- Physical Activity Foundation
- Cycling Promotion Fund
- Australian Bicycle Council
- Health Improvement, ACT Government
For more information contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.