Active Travel for the Community
The ACT is a great city for walking and riding bikes, and the ACT Government has an ambition to be Australia's most walkable city and cycling capital. With hundreds of kilometres of shared off-road paths in the ACT, a moderate climate, relatively flat terrain, an extensive trail network in our nature parks, and bike riders legally allowed to ride on footpaths, there are endless options for walking and cycling for everyone.
A 2km walk or a 5km bike ride will take roughly 20 minutes, and is often quicker than taking the car for short journeys. All Canberrans are encouraged to walk or ride a bike for all their short journeys - to the local shops on the weekend, the playground, to meet friends, to go to meetings and appointments and to work.
Active travel is a great way to incorporate regular physical exercise into your daily routine.
- Building an Integrated Transport Network - Active Travel (PDF 9.53MB)
- Healthy Weight Initiative
- Canberra and Queanbeyan Cycling and Walking Map
- Bikes and Buses
- Pedal Power ACT
- Heart Foundation
- Physical Activity Foundation
- Cycling Promotion Fund
- Australian Bicycle Council
- Health Improvement, ACT Government
- Carbon Challenge – Ditch your keys