Back to school with Transport Canberra! Are you and your children ready?
The new school year starts soon. If you haven’t already, then now is a good time to start preparing yourself and your children for Term 1, 2018. To assist in planning your child’s school bus travel, use our handy tips and checklist below:
- Routes and timetables
Please check the details of the services required for your child to and from school, also make sure the child is familiar with the times and stops. Some routes have changed, so it is important to check if you are affected.
- MyWay cards
MyWay is the cheapest and easiest way to travel with Transport Canberra buses. A student MyWay card can be purchased online, over the phone or at a MyWay Recharge Agent. Adding travel credit is even easier, with the options of Autoload attracting an additional 5% discount on all fares.
Registering your child’s student card protects the travel balance in the event the card is lost or stolen. Additionally, you can log in to view transaction details and travel history on the Transport for Canberra website. To find out more about MyWay, including full conditions and a list of MyWay Recharge Agents, view the Your Guide to MyWay page.
New bus fares came into effect on 20 January 2018. A single trip school student MyWay fare is now $1.19 on school days and a single trip school student cash fare costs $2.40.
- Bus safety
If your child is new to catching buses or a regular user, it is important to ensure that your child is familiar with the following rules:
- Children must signal the driver as the bus will not automatically service each stop it travels past
- When waiting for a bus to arrive make sure you stand back from the kerb.
- Enter the bus in a single file
- If a seat is free please sit down and stow your bag underneath the seat, well clear of the aisle
- If there are no seats available, move to the back of the bus to leave room for others, then make sure you hold on to the closest rail or strap available
- Exit in a single file and once off the bus, do not cross the road until the bus is gone
- Remember to tag on and off with your MyWay card
For further information on Transport Canberra bus safety, please visit the Etiquette and Safety section on our website.
- Staying up to date
To keep up to date with Transport Canberra news and important service information, sign up for our email alerts or follow us on our social media channels.