Come and Try Day - Saturday 11 August
There's no escaping the fact that men outnumber women in the bus driving world. But more and more women are proving it's a job they're great at - and that bus driving is a career that suits them.
On average, just 10% of ACT's Transport Canberra's bus drivers are female. This number has slowly increased over recent years but Transport Canberra are actively seeking to improve on the number of female applicants received.
On Saturday 11 August, Transport Canberra will host the Come & Try Day. The day is designed for women to try their hand at driving a bus under supervision.
The Come and Try Day will be held at the Sutton Road Training Centre (441 Sutton Rd, Majura ACT) and there will be two sessions:
- 11.30am - 1.30pm and
- 2.00pm - 4.00pm
Each session has a maximum of 50 attendees, register your interest early to avoid disappointment.
On the day, there will be an opportunity to drive three different types buses on a manoeuvre pad (basic obstacle course) and on the 2.5km closed circuit track. Under the instruction of eight Transport Canberra Trainer/Assessor, attendees will have the opportunity to drive a bus around the obstacle course negotiating a series of witch's hats. This will give the drivers an understanding of how easy it is to steer and manoeuver a bus. They will then be given the opportunity to drive around the 2.5km track which will give some insight into driving a bus at a relatively high speed. This will take 30 minutes for attendees to complete both activities.
A number of existing female drivers, including Special Needs Transport (SNT), ACTION drivers and community services drivers will be in attendance to provide information and answer any questions relating to driving and working for Transport Canberra.
To Register for the Come and Try day
Each session has a maximum of 50 attendees. Females will require a current, full C Class Driver's Licence or above, to participate in driving the buses, however, anyone is welcome to attend.
Spaces are limited and Terms and Conditions apply.
Terms and Conditions:
- All participants must hold a current C Class licence or above and present their licence prior to driving any Transport Canberra vehicle.
- Transport Canberra buses are fitted with air-ride driving seats. These seats have a safe weight rating of between 60kgs to 130kgs. In order to meet the seat manufactures WHS requirements only people who fall within these weight ranges will be permitted to operate a Transport Canberra bus.
- Comfortable clothing including enclosed shoes and a hat are recommended.
- All participants agree to follow instructions given to them by Transport Canberra driver trainers.
- Any child under the age of 16 will need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Only Transport Canberra employees and female participants will be allowed to travel within a Transport Canberra vehicle.
- All operators of a Heavy Vehicle, including those under instruction are required to have a zero blood alcohol concentration. Transport Canberra reserve the right to refuse participation of any persons if a persons safety is at risk.