Active Travel is a simple way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, which can have long lasting health benefits.
Remember, it can often be quicker – and safer – to walk than travel by car over short distances of one to two kilometres.
Some of the known health benefits are:
- reduced risk of long-term health issues including obesity, cardiovascular disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancers
- improved mental health and wellbeing
- improved physical health and levels of fitness.
Other benefits are:
- opportunity to interact with the local community
- provides a sense of community and belonging
- reduced carbon emissions
- reduced travel costs (petrol, parking fees, bus fares, potentially even a car saving)
- journey time reliability, especially at times of peak traffic
- door to door service
- stress free and hassle free
- no parking problems compared to driving.
Find out more about the benefits in the Building an Integrated Transport Network (PDF 9.5MB).