The Transport for Canberra Policy (PDF 5.8MB) sets the scene and vision for a sustainable city. It was released on 19 March 2012, and provides a foundation for transport planning for the next 20 years.
It replaced the 2004 Sustainable Transport Plan and sits alongside the ACT Planning Strategy.
As Canberra grows and changes, Transport for Canberra aims to:
- reduce traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions
- increase the number of people using active travel and public transport
- increase accessibility for all Canberrans
- improve links throughout the region.
Download ACT Transport Policy (PDF 5.8MB) or view it in sections:
- Introduction (PDF 1.2MB)
- Public Transport (PDF 2.1MB)
- Active Travel (PDF 668KB)
- Roads, Parking, Vehicles and Freight (PDF 802KB)
- Managing Travel Demand (PDF 570KB)
- Monitoring and Reporting Framework (PDF 499KB)
- Summary of Actions (PDF 443KB)
- Transport Policy web Appendices (PDF 4.2MB)
How the policy was developed
Transport for Canberra was developed in conjunction with the ACT Planning Strategy so the relationship between land use and transport could be considered as we shift to a more sustainable Canberra.
Consultation was sought from various stakeholders:
How we are tracking
The Transport for Canberra Report Card (PDF 4.8MB), released in September 2014, shows significant progress in all aspects of Transport for Canberra. View the Transport for Canberra Overview (PDF 841KB) for a summary of achievements.