Construction of Light Rail Stage 1 between Gungahlin and the City is well underway. Stay up-to-date on the latest light rail works at:
Sign up for updates
Building Canberra's light rail requires many stages of work right across the twelve-kilometre alignment and at the light rail depot at Mitchell. Work crews are undertaking different activities in multiple sections of the alignment as construction progresses. A general sequence of activities is:.
- First, the location of all underground utility services are confirmed (including water, gas, electricity, stormwater, sewer, and telecommunciations) as well as testing ground conditions and any contamination that needs to be managed.
- Utilities that the trackworks might affect are relocated or are protected in place. Some pipes and cables are relocated from the road median into the side of the road, depending on the available space and requirements of the service providers. This impacts on both the median and the verge and requires extensive rebuilding of structures including new pit construction and excavation and laying of pipes and conduits.
- Parts of the existing roads are realigned to create the wider median that will allow for the light rail tracks. Some sections of road have wider or added traffic lanes, moved footpaths, new driveways, kerbs and traffic lights. New traffic lights are installed in some locations for light rail to have a right-of-way with its own signals and so that any cars turning across the tracks can only do so with traffic lights.
- The site for the tracks is prepared by laying down a new base layer and compacting the soil. Steel reinforcement and formwork is set in position and a concrete trackslab poured in place. A slip-form paving machine is used that lays the concrete level and within the formwork, including with open grooves for rails.
- Rail is welded together into lengths of around 120m to be placed into the rebate in the concrete. A primer is applied into the rebate and the rail is encased in a polymer that holds the rail in position and absorbs noise and vibration.
- Intersections are finished with new traffic islands, pedestrian crossings, installing new signals and reconstructing the final road levels even with the new trackslab.
- The thirteen light rail stops are constructed with a concrete platform, then raising the new canopies. The stops are progressively completed with the installation of screens, ticket machines, seating and lighting.
- Overhead lines are installed with the support poles erected along the centre of the tracks and then the wires progressively connected. These will be checked and tested to ensure a safe connection of power for the light rail.
- New trees and landscaping are planted as trackworks are finished along the alignment, creating the renewed landscape being delivered to complement the project.
- While work on the light rail alignment is progressing, construction the depot and control centre is happening in Mitchell. Buildings for the maintenance shed, tram wash, administration offices and operational control centre are constructed, and a stabling yard for the 14 Light Rail Vehicles to be stored.
- The final step includes complete testing of all components of the project, including all Light Vehicles on the tracks, to ensure the system is ready for passenger services.
Transport Canberra and Canberra Metro appreciate the continued patience shown by road users as these necessary works are conducted and impacts on the road network are experienced. Some major intersections will be closed for intensive work periods over weekends to minimise the impact on work-week traffic.
There are likely to be various out of hours and night works as work intensifies through the corridor. All efforts are being made to manage and minimise the impacts on nearby residents. We understand that it is not possible to completely avoid all impacts and we continue to appreciate the patience shown by residents during these activities.
22/12/2017 - Light rail construction update
04/12/2017 - Light rail construction update
19/10/2017 - Light rail construction update
21/09/2017 - Light rail construction update
25/08/2017 - Light rail construction update
10/08/2017 - Light rail construction update
20/07/2017 - Light rail construction update
03/07/2017 - Light rail construction update
19/06/2017 - Light rail construction update
07/06/2017 - Light rail construction update