In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Service policies

Our policies explain what you can expect from our services.

When we review these policies, we may seek input from our customers and stakeholders. We will promote these consultations in our news.

Feedback and complaints

Provide feedback and complaints:

When providing feedback and complaints about particular services, please help us investigate and respond quickly and effectively by including:

  • time
  • date
  • route or bus number
  • location
  • direction of travel
  • your name and contact details.

You may also provide feedback anonymously. Please note, anonymous feedback or complaints may not be investigated. They will however, be recorded and referred to the appropriate area for information and noting.

What happens to my feedback or complaint?

Transport Canberra takes all feedback and complaints seriously and takes all reasonable steps to investigate feedback and complaints. You should receive a response to your feedback or complaint within 10 working days if you have provided your contact details.

If feedback involves the delivery of a service or driver behaviour, the driver will be identified and the matter investigated and where required, actions will be taken in accordance with Transport Canberra’s internal disciplinary processes. Where the feedback is a service request or a change to a service, it will be sent to our Scheduling Team for investigation. For complaints about buses or bus station/stop infrastructure, your feedback will be sent to the relevant depot or Roads ACT, who manage bus stop infrastructure, for investigation.

If you have provided your contact details, our Customer Experience team will respond to your feedback and advise you of what steps will be taken to resolve any issues. Unless requested, Transport Canberra will not generally advise customers of the outcome of an investigation.

Why can’t I provide my feedback to a driver or at a bus station?

General feedback provided to Transport Canberra staff in any other way (for example on the bus, or at a bus station) will not be considered formal feedback or a formal complaint. In these instances, a formal response from Transport Canberra cannot be guaranteed.

What does Transport Canberra do with the information I provide?

All feedback and complaints are stored in a Customer Record Manager (CRM) database. Feedback is:

  • assigned a unique reference number
  • stored with customer’s name and contact details
  • actioned based on the services or related practices referred to in the feedback.

Feedback or complaints involving criminal allegations or serious misconduct by Transport Canberra staff will not be stored in the CRM database.

All information received by Transport Canberra is maintained in accordance with Freedom of Information Act 1989, Territory Records Act 2002 and Privacy Act 1988.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you should write to the Director, Transport Canberra using the address above, requesting a review of the complaint. A review will be instigated by the Director with an outcome of the review provided to you in writing.
If you remain dissatisfied with the internal review of your complaint, you have the right to refer the matter to an external agency such as:

Download the Feedback and Complaints Handling Policy (PDF 122KB) | Word version (DOC 103KB)
Feedback and Complaints Handling Fact Sheet (PDF 121KB) | Word version (DOC 88KB).

Lost property

Lost property found on Transport Canberra buses is managed through our lost property office at Tuggeranong Bus Depot. Complete a Lost Property Form online.

Download the Lost Property Policy (PDF 407KB) | Word version (DOC 53KB)
Lost Property Fact Sheet (PDF 109KB) | Word version (DOC 1.5MB).

Ticketing, fares and refunds

The Road Transport (Public Passengers Services) Act 2001 and its subordinate Public Passenger Services (PPS) legislation requires that all passengers have a valid ticket to travel on a Transport Canberra bus route or school service.

What constitutes a valid ticket?

Valid tickets include tickets purchased with cash from the driver or MyWay cards that have been correctly validated (tapped on).

  • Cash tickets – all passengers purchasing a ticket with cash are advised to have the correct fare ready when boarding to avoid delays. Drivers have a limited cash float and may not be able to provide change for large notes. The presentation of a large note may result in refusal of travel.
  • MyWay cards – MyWay cards enable passengers to use prepaid credit to obtain the cheapest fare. The use of MyWay cards creates faster passenger boarding times and enables Transport Canberra to gain data about passenger travel patterns, assisting in the development of future bus networks. Find out where to get a MyWay card.

What happens if I do not have a valid ticket?

Failure to travel with a valid ticket may result in refusal of travel, or an infringement notice as referred to in PPS legislation.

Can I ask for a concession fare?

Passengers who request a concession cash fare are required to present valid proof of concession when paying for their ticket. Failure to present valid proof of concession will result in a full fare being charged. The driver's decision is final.

Passengers can apply for a concession MyWay card. Valid proof of concession must be provided.

Passengers travelling with a concession ticket must carry valid proof of concession at all times while travelling on Transport Canberra services and present it to an authorised person on request.

Is there a 90-minute transfer on tickets?

Yes, all single fares entitle passengers to a free 90 minute transfer period. This enables you to connect to a different bus or commence your return journey using the same ticket within 90 minutes of purchasing your ticket.

Are refunds or reimbursements issued?

Find out about MyWay replacements, noting that administration fees apply.

Refunds or reimbursements will not be provided where:

  • a passenger purchases prepaid credit and chooses not to use it for travel
  • a passenger fails to show valid proof of concession when boarding and paying for a cash fare ticket
  • a service is delayed or fails to operate and the passenger uses alternate travel arrangements.

Requests for refunds and balance transfers must be made by completing the application for a MyWay balance transfer/refund and including relevant supporting evidence. All decisions on refund and balance transfer requests are at the discretion of Transport Canberra.

Download the Ticketing, Fares and Refunds Policy (PDF 424KB) or the Ticketing, Fares and Refunds Fact Sheet (PDF 137KB).

Provision of dedicated school bus services

This policy applies to all requests for new dedicated school services or amendments to existing dedicated school services.

Download the Provision of Dedicated School Bus Services Policy (PDF 329KB)

Carriage of goods

Download the Carriage of Goods on Buses Policy (PDF 131KB) | Bikes on Buses Policy (PDF 132KB).

Find out more about cycling in Canberra.