Active travel means a mode of transport which involves physical activity such as walking and riding a bike to get from one destination to another - including travel to and from the places we live, work, learn, visit and play. These are some of the most efficient and effective ways to incorporate regular exercise into our daily lives, reducing many long-term health risks and contributing to our mental and physical health and well being.
The ACT Government remains committed to delivering on a healthy, active and vibrant Canberra under the Healthy Weight Initiative.
Together, let's make Canberra the best city in Australia to walk and ride a bike.
- Active Streets - Active Streets is an extension of Ride or Walk to School to make the environment around schools safer to ride, walk, scooter or skate to and from school.
- Australian Bicycle Council
- Building an Integrated Transport Network - Active Travel (PDF 9.53MB)
- Canberra and Queanbeyan Cycling and Walking Map
- Cycling Promotion Fund
- Health Improvement, ACT Government
- Healthy Weight Initiative
- Heart Foundation
- Learn to Ride Centres
- Pedal Power ACT
- Physical Activity Foundation
- Ride or Walk to School Initiative - The Ride or Walk to School initiative aims to increase walking, cycling and use of public transport among school students in the ACT.