A New Bus Network for Canberra
Canberra is Australia’s fastest growing city. In less than 15 years the population is expected to reach more than 500 000. Lifestyles are also changing. As more people move away from a 9-to-5 work schedule, there is a greater need for more services for evening and weekend travel.
The ACT Government is investing now to ensure that the best possible network, fleet and infrastructure are in place to meet the needs of our growing city and ensure Canberra remains one of the most liveable cities in the world. The design of a modern, integrated network of bus and light rail is a critical first step.
What we are asking you
Tell us how we can support you to use the new network. You can find out more about the new network and how to provide feedback at YourSay.act.gov.au.
What Canberrans want from public transport
We have been asking what Canberrans want from public transport in our city. Three key features have been consistently highlighted as priorities:
- more direct routes
- more frequent and reliable services
- increased services for on and off peak times
Transport Canberra has been guided by this feedback and has applied a data-driven approach to design a seven day, every day modern network.
Key features of the new bus network
- Ten Rapid Routes that move residents across the City at high frequency.
- Shorter, straighter, more regular and reliable local services that connect people with their local destinations and into the Rapid Routes.
- Overall the new planned network provides greater service coverage and frequency, seven days a week at peak and off-peak times across Canberra.