Rail Safety Week 10 – 16 August 2020
Are you #RailSAFE? During Rail Safety Week (and always) we are again shining a spotlight on how you can stay safe and have a great journey on Canberra’s light rail services.
Rail Safety Week is an annual community awareness week held in Australia and New Zealand that reminds everyone how to be safe on and around rail services.
Transport Canberra and Canberra Metro Operations (CMET) are continually committed to providing passengers with a safe travel environment. We need your help to ensure everyone stays safe when using light rail.
Transport Canberra is working alongside CMET and key ACT Government agencies to increase rail safety awareness in the Canberra region and promote light rail safety.
Pay attention, take responsibility and be #RailSAFE.
Remember to be SAFE:
S – stay off the tracks
- When getting off a light rail vehicle and crossing the tracks, do so only on green pedestrian signal, as you may not see a Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) coming in the opposite direction
- Road users be aware of traffic signals, intersections and road line markings when driving near the tracks
- Pedestrians only cross the tracks at designated walkways
A – avoid distractions
- Please pay attention around the tracks and stops. Remember to pay attention and take responsibility when using the light rail.
- Pedestrians to be alert to your surroundings, limit distractions such as mobile phones and headphones when walking around or across light rail tracks.
F – follow instructions
- Stand behind the yellow line on the platform at all times.
- When getting off a LRV and crossing the tracks, do so only on a green pedestrian signal, as an LRV coming in the opposite direction may be hidden.
E – encourage others to be SAFE
- If you are concerned about your safety or the safety of others, please use the Emergency Help Point (EHP) on platforms and on-board LRV’s to contact staff.
- If you would like to provide feedback use the contact us section on the Transport Canberra website or call 13 17 10.
Being alert, paying attention and taking responsibility when you travel on light rail means a great, safe journey for everyone. Join in on Facebook and Twitter and show us how you are being #RailSAFE during Rail Safety Week 2020.
Read more about rail safety or take the pledge to be #RailSAFE at the Track Safe Foundation website.