Canberra’s light rail service is proving to be even more popular than expected. To keep up with demand, the peak travel periods in the morning and afternoon have now been expanded and further improvements are planned as part of the new public transport network the Government is aiming to introduce on 28 April 2020.
Due to its popularity, we are also seeing some crowding on our peak services in both the morning and afternoons.
Light rail customers will now see:
- a half hour extension of the southbound morning peak services (every 6-minutes) from
7am – 9am to 7am – 9.30am; and
- a substantial extension of the afternoon peak services (every 6-minutes) from
4pm – 6pm to 3pm – 6.30pm (to Gungahlin) and 4pm - 5.30pm to 3.30pm to 6pm (to City)
In addition, to coincide with the updated bus timetable aimed for introduction from 28 April 2020, light rail services will be expanding. This will see:
- increased frequency to every five minutes during the morning weekday peak;
- increased afternoon weekday peak period to 7pm (to Gungahlin); and 6.30pm (to City)
- earlier commencement of services from 7am (rather than 8am) on Sundays and public holidays.