Public transport for tertiary students
It’s time to head back to school with Transport Canberra! Are you ready?
The easiest way to plan your trip to and from campus is by using Transport Canberra’s Journey Planner. You can use the journey planner to plan your trip by bus, light rail, walking or riding. You can also try using NXTBUS to track your service in real time.
Our priority in 2021 is to make sure that public transport remains COVID Safe. We have increased cleaning each day across the network to ensure the safety of our passengers. Hard surfaces across bus interchanges and light rail stops are cleaned daily and buses and light rail vehicles twice daily – this includes all internal surfaces such as MyWay readers, poles, stop buttons and seats.
Please make sure that you are not catching public transport or attending campus if you are sick. Remember, no cash is being accepted on bus services and entry and exit is from the rear door only. The front seat is closed and physical distancing onboard and at interchanges is encouraged. For the latest information visit COVID-19.
Studying can be stressful so take a load off your mind and travel the smart way with MyWay – the most cost-effective option to travel in and around Canberra on public transport. Make sure you have a MyWay Card that it is registered and topped up with sufficient funds. A MyWay card is easy to get and will save you time and money!
Simply tap on and off to pay the cheapest fare. Students with a Tertiary Student Identity Card (for university or CIT) with student name, photo of card holder, full time status, issued by a school within Australia are eligible for a Tertiary MyWay card or concession cash fares. Students must always carry their Student Identity Card to be eligible for this fare.
Ticket vending machines can be used to top up your MyWay card instantly for bus, and light rail, as well as to check your MyWay balance or purchase a single or daily ticket. Ticket vending machines are available at Gungahlin, Woden, City and Tuggeranong major bus stations, all light rail stops and the Canberra Airport.
The MyWay page has all the information on buying, registering and topping up MyWay.
Catching the bus
Whether you are new to catching buses or you are a regular user, don’t forget that safety is important so make sure you are familiar with these rules for inside and outside the bus:
- You must signal the driver as the bus will not automatically service each stop it travels past.
- When waiting for a bus to arrive make sure you stand back from the kerb.
- Enter the bus in a single file.
- If a seat is free, please sit down and stow your bag underneath the seat, well clear of the aisle.
- If there are no seats available, move to the back of the bus to leave room for others, then hold on to the closest rail or strap available.
- Exit in a single file and once off the bus, do not cross the road until it has gone.
Catching light rail
It is important to ensure you know how to stay safe when near the light rail corridor so make sure you are familiar with these rules:
- When using the light rail, remember to 'Pay attention and stay railSAFE’:
- Stay behind the yellow line at the light rail stop.
- Avoid distractions such as phones and headphones when around the light rail.
- Follow the rules:
- Cross at designated crossings and wait for the green signal
- Stay clear of the doors to let passengers exit the light rail vehicle before you begin boarding.
- Hold on when on board
- Encourage others to be safe.
Stay up to date
You can stay up to date with Transport Canberra updates, including changes to our services and latest news by signing up to the Transport Canberra weekly e-newsletter and like us on Facebook and Twitter.