Want a weekend job that will take you places?
As we continue to expand our number of weekend bus services, we’re looking for people who enjoy driving, who have great customer service skills and who don’t get lost easily. Ideally your driving record is squeaky clean too.
Our bus drivers play an important role in the lives of Canberrans. In return we offer great pay and conditions as well as comprehensive training and licence upgrades.
At the moment we are creating a pool of suitable candidates who could fill upcoming weekend work over the next 12 months. If successful, you will be employed casually while undergoing 3-5 weeks of training. Positions will then be offered upon successful completion of the training course.
We reckon it will be pretty popular so if you think this might be of interest check out our eligibility requirements to see if you have what it takes.
To apply for the recruitment pool please visit the Jobs website. Applications close 27 October 2020.
To be a successful bus driver you need to:
- have great map reading and time-keeping skills and be able to follow a regular schedule over specified routes of travel
- be able to safely drive a bus (hopefully this goes without saying)
- be able to demonstrate the values of safety, excellence, collaboration, respect, innovation and integrity.
Applicants must also:
- hold a “C” Class Drivers Licence and to have held a licence issued by an Australian State or Territory for at least 5 years.
- be able to supply a 5-year history of your driving in Australia
- be able to obtain and maintain a Medium Rigid (MR) licence and Public Vehicle Driving Authority (PVDA) – For non-ACT resident applicants, obtaining an upgrade to a MR licence will be at the applicant’s cost.
- be able to obtain a Heavy Vehicle (HR) Licence between 6 to 12 months after commencing with Transport Canberra, if you don’t already have one
- be able to successfully complete all pre-employment checks, including a police check, medical assessment, literacy and numeracy assessment and heavy vehicle driving assessment.
Please see Bus Operator Eligibility and Suitability Fact Sheet (PDF 399KB) (Word 165KB) for more information.
Still have a question? Please call the Transport Canberra Recruitment team on 02 6207 7537.
The ACT Public Service supports workforce diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. As part of this commitment, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, culturally diverse people and those who identify as LGBTIQ are encouraged to apply.
Further information on pay and conditions is available in the Transport Canberra Operations (ACTION) Enterprise Agreement 2018-2021.