Real time ACTION bus information at bus stops, bus stations and on the go
NXTBUS is the real time passenger information system for ACTION Buses.
NXTBUS tracks the location of your bus so you can find out when the next bus departs, wherever you are. NXTBUS can tell you if your bus has a bike rack, if it is 'easy access' and if a service has been delayed.
NXTBUS looks 90 minutes ahead with real time information updated every 30 seconds.
- by SMS
- on the bus
- at the bus stop
- at bus stations and selected major stops
- by phone
- Find a bus stop ID
- Frequently asked questions
Using NXTBUS real time information online
Use the search bar to look up departure times by bus stop ID, route or location. Results will be provided for the next 90 minutes.
Live times are shown in minutes, counting down until the bus departs if your bus is easy access and/or has a bike rack.
NXTBUS real time information is accessible via desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
You can also search the interactive map for stop information. Note: If you hover over a stop, the Stop ID will be shown. Search information is displayed to the left of the map.
All parts of the NXTBUS webpage are compatible with screen readers excluding the interactive map.
The search function allows you to search by bus stop ID, route or location. Location data is taken from the ACTION data system, which is different to Google maps. This means you can't search by street number or suburb.
Having trouble finding your stop? Check out our find your Bus Stop ID application
The NXTBUS webpage does not replace the functions of Google Transit journey planner or ACTION timetables.
- Plan your journey with Google Transit
- 'No departures found' – this means there are no buses departing from this stop in the next 90 minutes.
- Favourite stops - save your most used stops in the 'Favourite Stops' list on the right hand side of the page.
- School services - school services can be found by searching the site. Enter your service number for route information.
- Charter services – charter services are not searchable via the NXTBUS webpage.
Use NXTBUS by SMS
SMS to 0432 13 17 10
- Stop ID (Eg. 2248)
For routes servicing that stop and the next two departure times for each route.
- Stop ID and the route number (Eg. 2248, 300)
For departure times for the selected route and stop.
- Stop ID and departure time (Eg. 2248, 16:00)
For routes servicing that stop after the selected departure time.
- Stop ID, route and departure time (Eg. 2248, 300, 16:00)
For times the selected route will depart after the departure time given.
*Standard SMS charges apply.
Other SMS symbols
Your reply may also include one or more of the following symbols:
W = Wheelchair accessible/easy access
B = Bike rack (this is only when a bus is fitted with a bike rack, it is unable to detect if the bike rack is full or not)
* = When a bus is delayed.
- Use the correct SMS format listed above (spaces, commas etc to avoid receiving an error message.
- Save the NXTBUS SMS number in your phone as a contact.
Using NXTBUS on the bus
All ACTION buses are equipped with NXTBUS technology including a screen at the front of the bus and voice announcements that give you next stop and route information.
Using NXTBUS at the bus stop
Braille and embossed bus stop plates have been installed at 100 selected bus stops to assist vision impaired commuters.
Using NXTBUS at bus stations and selected major stops
LED display screens
Look out for the display screens and on-demand audio announcements at all bus stations and selected major stops.
The screens display next bus information including route, destination, platform number, if the bus is equipped with a bike rack and/or is wheelchair accessible.
Live times are shown in minutes, counting down until the bus departs.
There are also push button on-demand audio announcements.
NXTBUS LED display screens are located at the below bus stations and major stops:
- Cohen Street Bus Station
- Belconnen Community Bus Station
- Westfield Belconnen Bus station
- City Bus Station
- Tuggeranong Bus Station
- Woden Bus Station
- Gungahlin Bus Station
- ANU Bus Station
- City West
ACTION touch screen information kiosks are now available at Westfield Belconnen (inside, near Max Brenner, City, Tuggeranong and Woden bus stations, allowing you to search NXTBUS online as well as a selection of ACTION information.
Using NXTBUS by phone
Call 13 17 10 and speak to an operator who can provide you with real time route and/or stop information.
Find a 'bus stop ID'
Every bus stop across the ACT has a unique four digit 'bus stop ID'. Bus stop ID's are listed on the blue and yellow signage at every bus stop in the ACT (including bus stations).
NXTBUS promotes accessible public transport in the following ways:
- Announcements on the buses of the next stop
- On-demand audio announcements of real time information at bus stations and selected major stops
- Provision of information about whether the next bus to arrive is wheelchair accessible
- NXTBUS webpage meets Website Content AccessibilityGuidelines 2.0 (excludes interactive map)
- Braille and embossed bus stop number plates havebeen installed at selected bus stops for vision impaired commuters. These locations were determined with the help of the Guide Dogs Association.
Frequently asked questions
Q: How often is NXTBUS information updated?
A: NXTBUS uses GPS to track the location of buses. Location data is sent to a central system, which then transmits this data in real time. NXTBUS looks 90 minutes into the future with information updated every 30 seconds.
Q: I used the NXTBUS SMS/online service but my bus still didn't arrive?
A: Your service may have become delayed after you last SMSed or checked the webpage. Please check again for the next available service.
Q: I am having trouble locating my stop by typing in the location name
A: Sometimes our stop location data may be entered into the system by landmark (e.g. Albert Hall instead of its physical location e.g. Commonwealth Avenue) we are working hard to rectify these descriptions however this takes time. This is why it is easier to remember your bus stop ID whenever possible.
Q: What if I don't know my bus stop ID?
Q: Can I use NXTBUS to plan my journey?
A: No, NXTBUS is best used to quickly look up when your next bus is due to depart. A handy tip is to save your most used bus stop ID's in your mobile phone or in the favourites section of NXTBUS online.
Q: How do I report a problem with NXTBUS?
A: Please direct all feedback via our Contact Us page or call 13 17 10.
For more information about NXTBUS contact 13 17 10.