Transport for Canberra

Information Alert Graphic

NXTBUS is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We are working to fix the issue as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Please use the timetables on the ACTION website and the journey planner to plan your travel.


School Students (Kindergarten - Year 12)

Student Transport Program

Hall and Oaks Estate Students

Tertiary Students

School Students

Student MyWay Cards ordered online will be mailed to the applicant's nominated address. Value must be added to the card prior to use. Student MyWay cards are also available from recharge agents. Applicants will be need to complete an Application for a School Student MyWay card (PDF 75KB) and add value to the card at the time of purchase. Cards can then be used immediately for travel on ACTION services.

Student Transport Program (STP)

The Student Transport Program provides eligible primary school, high school and college students with free bus travel Monday to Friday during school term.

Applications must be submitted to the Student Transport Program 4-6 weeks prior to the commencement of term to ensure processing can be completed in time for the student's travel requirement.

For more information including eligibility requirements, and access to application forms visit the Road Transport Authority web site.

Road Transport Authority, Student Transport Program

Dickson Motor Registry
13 - 15 Challis Street

Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday

Postal address:
Road User Services
PO Box 582

Combined student ID/MyWay cards

Students of Marist College, Canberra High School, Gungahlin College and Covenant College use a combined student ID/MyWay card. Students attending these schools should contact the school to arrange orders on their behalf. Cards are returned to the school who will then issue them to students.

Students/parents will then need to load value to the cards prior to use. Value can be added to the card online, over the phone on 13 17 10, or in person at a MyWay recharge agent or at an Access Canberra Shopfront. Value can also be added using autoload (direct debit) or BPAY both of which will save you 5% on your bus fares once the payment has been processed.

Students can check their balance online. The password to check your balance is set as the student's suburb and postcode. You will need to enter your password in the following format: suburbpostcode (no spaces e.g. gordon2906).  

Application for Qcity Transit, Hall and Oaks Estate, school term tickets

You must be a resident of Hall or Oaks Estate to purchase a Qcity Transit school term ticket.
Applicants must complete the application form below and return to Qcity Transit to receive a school term ticket at the applicable MyWay rate.

Download an Application for Qcity Transit, Hall and Oaks Estate, School Term Tickets (PDF 78KB).

Please contact MyWay on 13 17 10 for assistance in completing your application.

Tertiary Students

Full-time Tertiary Students are able to access student concession fares for travel on ACTION Buses. To attain student concession bus fares, students will require either of the following:

  • MyWay Tertiary Student Concession Card; or
  • Student Concession Card

You can purchase a MyWay Tertiary Student Concession Card at an Access Canberra Shopfront, Tertiary agent located at UC, ANU or CIT Reid or by going online.

You are encouraged to register your MyWay card online to protect the balance if lost, stolen or damaged. You can register your card online or call 13 17 10 where a customer service officer will complete the registration for you over the phone. You will need to provide proof of concession with your application.

Once you have registered your card online and it is approved by the MyWay Administration Office, Tertiary student concession fares will be programmed to your MyWay card and will expire on the expiry date printed on your ID card.

Users can check their card status and expiry of their concession entitlement online via the check your balance page or over the phone on 13 17 10.

What if I don't have a current valid full-time student ID card?

Students that do not have a valid full-time student ID card will need to provide a copy of a passport size photograph, a certified copy of your photographic drivers licence or passport. You are also required to have your institution endorse the application form or provide a letter confirming full time tertiary student status.

Adding value to your card

Once you have purchased and registered your card you will need to add value to the card prior to use. Value can be added to the card online, over the phone on 13 17 10, or in person at a MyWay recharge agent or at an Access Canberra Shopfront. Value can also be added using autoload (direct debit) or BPAY for further discounts on fares.

Renew your tertiary student MyWay card 

Visit a MyWay tertiary student agent or an Access Canberra Shopfront with a current full-time tertiary student ID card and the customer service representative will be able to automatically renew your student MyWay card. No forms required.

Please note that if you do not have a current student ID card, you will need to provide proof of your entitlement. Further information can be found below or by calling 13 17 10.

Please note:

Concession card holders are required to complete a new MyWay card concession application when they purchase a new or replacement MyWay card. If a concession entitlement expires, customers are required to update their concession details on their MyWay card by attending a designated MyWay, Access Canberra shopfront and providing proof of entitlement. Failure to reapply will result in standard fares being charged for travel. Refunds will not be provided where the customer has purchased the wrong card type; has failed to provide proof of concession when purchasing their MyWay card; and/or the concession entitlement expires.

View Tertiary MyWay Agent locations and details

For further information please contact MyWay on 13 17 10.

School Students (Kindergarten - Year 12)

School Students (Kindergarten - Year 12)

The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.
Bookmark and Share

Follow Us On

Feedback | Languages | Sitemap | Jobs ACT | Privacy | Disclaimer | Copyright Page last updated on 15 January 2016