What’s next for Light Rail?
Expansion to Woden
Our light rail network is now operating, with the Gungahlin to City route completed. Next steps will include light rail network expanded through to Woden
The next components of light rail will allow people to easily access major educational institutions, retail and entertainment precincts, major events and employment hubs through an integrated public transport network.
- When the light rail is extended through Woden we will move 39,000 people per day for 600 potential journeys.
- We will provide travel options for a 120,000-employment population and 90,000 resident and student population by 2041
- The light rail expansion will support more than 4 million people who visit events and attractions in the national area
- Over 50 hotels, five education institutions, 10 retail and entertainment precincts and 20 employment centres will be connected when the Gungahlin to Woden route is complete.
- We have been working through the recommendations of a Commonwealth Inquiry into the City to Woden project.
- We are currently seeking an assessment by the Federal Department of Environment and Energy (DoEE) into the environmental and heritage impacts of the expansion of light rail to Woden. You can view and comment on this assessment here.
- Canberra community and stakeholders will be engaged in the future to help develop the draft Environmental Impact Statement to support the Light Rail Network Expansion.
Light Rail Network Expansion
Find out more and stay up to date with light rail progress: