Jobs for Canberrans
The ACT Government has launched the Jobs for Canberrans Fund to provide work opportunities for people in the casual or semi-skilled workforce who have lost their jobs or have been significantly impacted due to COVID-19.
For more information see Jobs for Canberrans.
Please be advised that unfortunately due to COVID-19 Transport Canberra has had to temporarily suspend bus driver recruitment and training. You are still able to submit applications online during this time via the jobs ACT website www.jobs.act.gov.au
We thank you for your understanding and we will be in touch once we return to business as usual.
Part-time bus driver recruitment (Temporarily suspended)
Transport Canberra is currently seeking part-time bus drivers to join out fleet. To be a successful bus driver you need:
- strong communication skills and like working with the community
- a great driving record and ability to operate a bus safely
- great map reading and time-keeping skills and to be able to follow a regular schedule over specified routes of travel
- to be able to adhere to our values of safety, excellence, collaboration, respect, innovation and integrity
Transport Canberra offers great pay and benefits, as well as comprehensive training and licence upgrades. Further information is available in the Transport Canberra Operations (ACTION) Enterprise Agreement 2018-2021.
The ACT Public Service supports workforce diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. As part of this commitment, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, culturally diverse people and those who identify as LGBTIQ are encouraged to apply.
Transport Canberra is establishing a pool of suitable applicants to become Bus Operators. This pool will be used to fill upcoming permanent part-time positions over the next 12 months. If successful, you will be employed casually while undergoing 3-5 weeks of training. Positions will then be offered upon successful completion of the training course.
Eligibility and Other Requirements:
See Bus Operator Eligibility and Suitability Fact Sheet (PDF 399KB) (Word 165KB) for more information.
To work as a Transport Canberra bus operator, applicants must:
- Hold a “C” Class Drivers Licence and to have held a licence issued by an Australian State or Territory for at least 5 years
- Be able to supply a 5-year history of your driving in Australia
- Be able to obtain and maintain a Medium Rigid (MR) licence and Public Vehicle Driving Authority (PVDA) – For non-ACT resident applicants, obtaining an upgrade to a MR licence will be at the applicant’s cost. For clarification please ring the contact officer (details available via the Jobs ACT website).
- Be able to obtain a Heavy Vehicle (HR) Licence between 6 to 12 months after commencing with Transport Canberra
- Be able to successfully complete all pre-employment checks, including a police check, medical assessment, literacy and numeracy assessment and functional (heavy vehicle) driving assessment
This recruitment round is open until 27 October 2020, visit www.jobs.act.gov.au to apply.