If you have a concession card you may be eligible for reduced or free fares when travelling by bus.
Purchase a concession MyWay
You will need to present your concession card to a MyWay Recharge Agent or Access Canberra Service Centre. You will be required to present your card at an agent each time your concession is renewed to maintain your concession fare entitlement.
Failure to reapply your concession upon expiry will result in standard fares being charged for travel. Refunds will not be provided if:
- you purchased the wrong card type
- you failed to provide proof of concession when purchasing
- the concession entitlement expires.
Free concession travel
You may be eligible for free travel if you’re:
- a child aged 5 and under who is not attending school
- an ACT resident aged over 70
- a Department of Veterans Affairs TPI Gold Card holder
- a passenger with a visual impairment
- an approved Student Transport Program concession holder.
As part of an off-peak trial, eligible senior and concession MyWay card holders travel for free between 9am and 4.30pm and after 6pm weekdays, and all day Saturday, Sunday and on public holidays. Remember to tap on and tap off correctly to access free travel during off-peak times.
Student and tertiary card holders are not eligible.
Proof of concession entitlement must be carried at all times.
Current Concession card examples (PDF, 2541.7 KB) are:
- Primary School, High School and College Student Identity Card with student name, date of birth, photo of card holder, Full Time status, issued by a school within Australia (the card holder is eligible for a Student MyWay card or concession cash fares).
- Tertiary Student Identity Card (for university or CIT) with student name, photo of card holder, Full Time status, issued by a school within Australia (the card holder is eligible for a Tertiary MyWay card or concession cash fares).
- Health Care Card issued by the Department of Human services (eligible for a concession MyWay card or concession cash fares).
- Pension Card issued by the Department of Human services (eligible for a concession MyWay card or concession cash fares).
- DVA Gold Card – concession fares apply at all times.
- ACT Services Access Card issued by Companion House (eligible for a concession MyWay card or concession cash fares).
- ACT Seniors Card – concession fares apply at all times. Off-peak fares between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm, weekend and public holidays are free. Find out how to get an ACT Seniors/MyWay card.
- Interstate Seniors Card – concession fares apply at all times. Off-peak fares between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm, weekend and public holidays are free. Interstate Seniors cards are available at Access Canberra Service Centres.
- Vision Impaired Travel Pass holder is entitled to free travel on regular route services, including an attendant, if required. An ACT issued Vision Impaired Travel Pass may be accepted by interstate transit authorities where provision allows for free or subsidised travel for vision impaired persons. Each state and territory policy varies, so please check your travel entitlements with the appropriate authority prior to commencement of your journey. In the ACT, vision impaired travel passes issued by another Australian State or Territory Government are also accepted, and receive free travel on regular route services. Attendants of the pass holder also travel for free under these passes. The Vision Impaired Travel Pass is issued by MyWay Administration Office to eligible recipients. Call 13 17 10 for more information on how to apply.
- Companion Card issued by The Department of Disability, Housing, and Community Services. The card holder's eligible companion is allowed free travel when this card is presented to the driver.
- DVA Gold Card marked with TPI or EDA are entitled to free travel. Their companion or carer also travels free. Present the card on the bus, or apply for a free travel pass by phoning 13 17 10 or emailing TCCS email@example.com.
- ACT Seniors over 70s. Find out how to get an ACT Seniors/MyWay card.
Free off-peak travel trial
- Health Care Card issued by the Department of Human services.
- Pension Card issued by the Department of Human services.
- DVA Gold Card
- ACT Seniors Card
- Interstate Seniors Card