Under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), students with disability may be eligible for Special Needs Transport (SNT).
How it works
SNT will take eligible students:
- from home to the closest appropriate school setting
- from school to home (or respite or after school care if it is available within the existing transport routes and if there is space on the bus).
Travel aims to be by the shortest route between the student's home and school.
When applying for the SNT program, parents, carers or guardians must demonstrate their inability to transport or arrange transport for their children.
- be a registered NDIS participant
- be a resident of the ACT
- attend an ACT public school
- meet the ACT SNT guidelines:
- ACT Special Needs Transport Guidelines (PDF 175KB) | Word version (DOC 114KB)
The following exceptions may apply and will be considered on a case by case basis:
- students who are not eligible for the NDIS because they do not meet Australian residency requirements
- students already accessing the SNT program who are Australian residents but have not been found eligible for the NDIS and meet all the other eligibility criteria.
Apply for SNT
Complete an SNT application, noting waiting lists may apply:
- Special Needs Transport Application Form (Online)
- Special Needs Transport Application Form (PDF 98KB) | Word version (DOC 220KB)