Your MyWay card is issued subject to the conditions of the Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Act 2001, Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Regulation 2002 and the conditions of use below. MyWay cards may be used for travel on designated Transport Canberra bus services provided that the MyWay card:
- has a positive balance
- is not damaged, has not expired and has not been cancelled
- is successfully tagged to a card reader upon boarding and disembarking each bus service (known as tapping on and tapping off).
MyWay cards remain valid for two years from the date of the last transaction (a transaction could be either travel or recharge). Once a card has expired, it cannot be reactivated and a new card will need to be purchased.
Failure to tap off at the end of your travel will result in a default fare being charged.
Customers using a MyWay card acknowledge that:
- A MyWay card registered to a person granted a fare exemption or concession may only be used by that person. Unauthorised use of a MyWay Card by another person may result in the withdrawal of the exemption or concession.
- In the event that a registered MyWay card is lost or stolen, the card holder will be liable for all fares, fees and charges incurred through the use of the card until the card is reported missing. To report a missing MyWay card, customers should call 13 17 10.
- Registered MyWay cards that are lost, damaged or faulty can be replaced with a new card.
- Concession entitlements and stored value on a registered MyWay card may be transferred where the registered card is replaced.
Carrying proof of concession
You are required to show proof of concession/student entitlement on request and should carry it at all times. If you are not carrying proof of concession you are required to pay full fare.
Paying an incorrect fare
If you have not paid the correct fare, you may be issued a warning notice or fined. Penalties range from $159 for travelling without a current ticket to $207 for providing misleading information of entitlement to bus ticket concession.
General MyWay conditions
- Off-peak discounts apply between 9:00am and 4:30pm and after 6:00pm on weekdays, and all day weekends and public holidays. All other periods are peak fares. There is no off-peak discount for cash fares.
- A 40 paid trip cap (30 paid trip cap for school students) applies for the calendar month with all subsequent travel that month free if you tap on and off.
- You can receive a further discount using MyWay if you top up your card via autoload (direct debit) or BPAY.
- Free off-peak travel for senior and concession MyWay card holders applies when users tap on and tap off correctly. A default fare will be charged if users don’t tap off.
These conditions of use, and related materials, are subject to change at the discretion of the ACT Government.